How To Adopt
How to Adopt—The Adoption Process
Adopting an animal is an exciting and important step for you and your family! Here is a brief outline of what to expect. Please note that we have adapted our adoption process to meet COVID19 guidelines and that the shelter is not open for visiting. Meeting adoptable animals and adopting animals will be done by appointment only.
- Appointments can be scheduled between 9-4 Tuesday-Saturday
- Please call or email us with your questions; calls received on Sundays and Mondays may not be returned until Tuesday when the Adoption Center opens
- Getting to know animals available for adoption will take place primarily through emails, photos and videos, and phone conversations with staff and foster parents
- Meeting specific cats prior to adoption can be a virtual process or can take place in the shelter by appointment. Meeting specific dogs will take place outside if weather permits
- Many of our adoptable animals are currently in foster homes; we are grateful to our foster parents for helping us find forever homes by sharing information, videos, and photos and helping facilitate meetings of animals
- Please call us from the parking lot when you arrive for your appointment
Please note that filling out an adoption application is an expression of interest and does guarantee animal placement.
To adopt a Cat or Kitten:
To adopt a Dog or Puppy:
To adopt a Small Animal:
Be Prepared to Take Your New Best Friend Home!
All dogs adopted from Homeward Bound must be wearing an appropriate leash and collar when they leave the shelter. Homeward Bound does not have leashes or collars available for adopters to take home so please come prepared with your own leash and collar. There are E-Z Walker harnesses for sale at the shelter.
All cats and small animals adopted from Homeward Bound must be contained in an appropriate carrier when they leave the shelter. Adopters may bring their own carriers or may purchase a gently used carrier from Homeward Bound.
236 Boardman Street
Middlebury, VT 05753
Adoption Center Hours
Tuesday - Saturday
Open by Appointment Only