Adoption, Fostering & Behavior Modification
Since our inception, we have placed an average of 600 animals each year into loving homes. We serve more animals per resident than nearly any other shelter in the state. Our shelter is No Kill, meaning we never euthanize animals for space. All animals we take in, with the exception of those deemed highly aggressive, or very ill, will be adopted. When necessary we maintain a waiting list for animals to be surrendered as well as offer owners support through our third party adoption program.
We attribute our high adoption rate to a combination of:
- Extensive handling and socialization of shelter animals improving their adoptability
- Follow-up support to adopters including owner education, counseling, and training referrals
- Emergency fostering for people in crisis such as domestic violence or personal health challenges thus allowing animals to ultimately remain with their families
- Strong marketing including extensive web and print advertising, in-store and vet clinic flyers, media relations, adoption events and other community outreach
- A loyal foster community that cares for very young, sick, or injured animals or animals in need of socialization (these volunteers extend our capacity by nearly 30% each year)
- Emergency funding for low-income adopters who need financial assistance for unexpected veterinary costs
All these elements were designed to improve the adoptability of our animals including special needs animals and to ensure lifelong matches.
236 Boardman Street
Middlebury, VT 05753
Adoption Center Hours
Tuesday - Saturday
Open by Appointment Only