General Information–Dog Training Classes
Positive Reinforcement Training: All Homeward Bound training classes are based on positive reinforcement training methods; choke chains, prong collars, and electronic collars are not allowed. Required materials for classes will be discussed during the first session and may include treats, flat (non-retractable) leashes and collars, and other helpful training tools.
Class Selection: Our classes meet for one hour a week for six consecutive weeks. Current class schedules are posted on our website and at our facility. Classes are scheduled based on interest and must meet minimum participant levels.
Schedule Changes: Classes may be postponed and rescheduled due to weather, instructor illness, or other unavoidable circumstances. Every effort will be made to schedule make-up classes that meet the needs of as many participants as possible.
- If Homeward Bound makes a change to the schedule prior to the beginning of the class that results in your inability to attend, you will receive a full refund within three weeks, or credit toward a future class.
- If you withdraw from class up to one week before the beginning of classes, you will receive a refund minus a $25 processing fee within three weeks.
- If you withdraw from class between one week before classes begin and before the second class, you will receive a $50 refund within three weeks.
- No refunds are available if you do not give notice of your intent to withdraw before the second class.
- No discounts or refunds are available if you are unable to attend all of the classes. However, we will make all attempts to schedule you to attend a make-up session if available.
Class Location: Unless otherwise indicated, classes are held at Homeward Bound Animal Welfare Center at 236 Boardman Street, Middlebury, VT. Please park in our lot and walk around the right side of the building to the side door entrance. Please do not bring your dog into the Adoption Center.
First Class: Unless otherwise noted, please do not bring your dog to the first class. It is an orientation and training class for humans only.
Family Participation: Members of your family age 6 and older are welcome to participate, however all children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult and may not out number adults by more than two to one. All participants must follow safety guidelines as specified by the instructor or they may be removed from class with no refund of fees.
Vaccination Requirements: All dogs must be current on Rabies and Distemper/Parvo vaccinations to attend class. Puppies must have started their shot series (Distemper/Parvo at 8 weeks, Rabies at 12 weeks). Please provide copy of vaccinations prior to the first class.
Health Requirements: Dogs must be in good health to attend classes. Dogs may not have or be undergoing treatment for any transmissible diseases, and should be free of internal and external parasites. Instructors with concerns about the health of a dog may ask that dog to leave class and the owner is subject to the cancellation policy as noted.
To Register for a Class—Please return the following items to:
- Completed registration form and Release and Hold Harmless Agreement
- A copy of your dog’s vaccination records
- Payment: Check or credit card information
236 Boardman Street
Middlebury, VT 05753
Adoption Center Hours
Tuesday - Saturday
Open by Appointment Only